Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Carbon Footprint

I measured my carbon footprint at http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/ & it was 2.90 planets which is 12.37 tonnes per annum.
Most of my CRE Classmates also had similar figures and our class average was approximately 3.87. The main factors that contributed to my carbon footprint are:
· Stuff 32%
· Home 29%
· Food 22%

A carbon footprint as defined is “the total set of GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions caused directly and indirectly by an individual, organization, event or product. My guess is that most people’s highest carbon emissions are from stuff like me.
The reason stuff is usually the highest is because it is the little things that people take for granted and don’t think that they contribute much, but they all add up which makes the highest percentage. Reducing these emissions can be reduced simply by remembering to switch off the lights when vacating a room.
Our country is the first ranked in the world as most pollutant country in the world, and we needed to do something about this statistic to at least show the rest of the world that we are aware of the current global warming crisis and trying to contribute in solving it. And I am sure every citizen of the UAE the help solve this problem if enough awareness is raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment